so who knew that you could bake a cake, using tea as an ingredient? Well not us, to be honest. Coffee goes well in many recipes, but tea?
Well thanks to a lovely customer who baked us a delicious cake, she has opened our eyes to the use of tea in baking. Her choice of tea was our Buckingham Palace blend, where we discovered just how the gentle aromatic flavour makes these cakes taste delicious.
This is her recipe, which we do hope you try for yourselves (you can use any loose tea of your choice):
*use the same mug or cup for all measurements*
• 1 mug of strong black tea
• 1 mug of caster sugar
• 10 oz dried fruit
• mix together, stir and leave overnight
• grease a 2lb loaf tin. Heat oven to gas mark 3
• add 1 egg and mix
• add 2 mugs of SR flour and mix
• pour into tin and sprinkle the top with Demerara sugar and bake in the centre of the oven for 1-1 1/2 hours, until knife comes out clean